Monday, January 28, 2013

the Seventh Anniversary of my Bone Marrow Transplant

What follows is a summary, at least in part, tracing the reasons why I stopped writing blog posts (with one exception) for over four years. During that time, I had many complications to my Bone Marrow Transplant. I only have time to recount a few of the reasons here.
 
In early September 2008, I developed Shingles, Disseminated Varicella Zoster, and Zoster Pneumonia in rapid succession. All three are caused by a reactivation of the Chicken Pox virus, after you've alreay had Chicken Pox, usually as a child. Shingles is very painful, as anyone who has had it can testify. Disseminated Varicella is a dangerous form of adult Chicken Pox which develops mostly in transplant patients. Some bone marrow transplant recipients never get their immunities back, which explains why they can get Disseminated Varicella Zoster -- Chicken Pox as an adult. Zoster Pneumonia is a pneumonia caused by the Varicella Zoster which has set up shop in your lungs and can easily become life-threating.
 
In my case, it took the Zoster Virus three months or more to release me from its grip. What followed was a series of other complications which I'll write about in more detail soon.

What prompted me to write a post after all this time? January 27, 2013 was the seventh anniversary of my Bone Marrow Transplant.

I'm somewhat surprised that I've
lived this long. Out of the many who had a bone marrow transplant during the same time I did, I'm one of the few who has survived.

Why am I one of only two who survived? In a strange way, I feel guilty.
 
I do feel good about being alive, though. I also feel grateful -- grateful to God, grateful to my doctors and nurses, and grateful to my wife Krissy who has stood beside me no matter what my medical treatment put us through.

And I'm thankful for each one of my readers, also, who has continued to help me through this.
 
Despite the guilt and a nagging sense of loss, I'm hoping for another seven years of life.
Hopefully there will be fewer complications in the coming years. The last four years have left me with much to write about. And there are the current life events which I cannot neglect in my future posts.
 
I'm back, friends!

John

5 comments:

  1. Welcome 'home' John! It is so good to see you 'up and running' again. You and Krissy have been through so much! What brave fighters you are too! Thank God for the past seven years, traumatic though they have been. It lifts my spirit to see you well enough to be back on line again. You are both first class warriors!
    I am smiling from ear to ear! Bless you both!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good to see you back on post, John. Hope you'll have an easier time in years to come than you have been through in the last 7.

    Guido

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, you're certainly an inspiration. While my health problems have mainly been going on since Sept. I can appreciate coming close to death. Thank God I was spared. And thank Him for bringing you & Krissy through your trials. Hope to see many more posts to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS/HIV/AIDS
    HIV/Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections. But the best way to fight and get rid of the herpes virus permanently is to take natural herbal remedies, I read about DR JAMES, the great herbal Doctor, who cures people of HIV with his powerful herbal mix medicine and spiritual healing. I contacted him to find out how he could help me, and he told me never to be worried that he would help me with the natural herbs' medicine! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me the medicine is ready, and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases Alzheimer disease, Eczema, Shingles, MS, Bulbous Pemphigoid, Diabetes, cancer, PCOS, hypothyroidism, vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, HPV, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus Schizophrenia, Autism, Bipolar disorder, Infertility Get your EX back, Enlargement of Breast, Penis, Butts.CMV, And more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness, and I was cured of herpes virus. And DR James' medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for, and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine. CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM.
    He's a good man and he will help you  

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you got the seven more years. As a matter of fact, you got nine. I’m so proud of you, baby. I’m so proud that you lived your life without complaint. You were never angry at God. And you had a purpose in life. You inspired others to persevere in many things in life. I also believe you helped others see God. I’d love you forever. Your Krissy

    ReplyDelete